I have a love/hate relationship with blue jeans. I love a good pair but that is super hard to find. I have this pair of jeans that I have loved for many years. They are good and broken in and so very comfortable. Unfortunately, they have worn a hole in an undesirable area. Needless to say, I cannot wear them any longer.
Though I can no longer wear this amazing pair of jeans, we have so many memories together. Think “Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” type memories. I just can’t get rid of them all together so I have decided to give them a second life. My goal is to use as much of them as possible for various projects.
I have gone a little Pinterest crazy thinking of all the things I want to do with them. I have come up with 6 different ways to use them to their very fullest and give them a few more lives. Here goes:
- Blue Jean Apron with the left leg – I found a really cute pattern at A Girl and a Glue Gun.
- Denim Wreath with the right leg – I found this pattern at A Fish Who Likes Flowers.
- Denim Poof Stool from scraps – I will use scraps from these jeans and a few other pairs of different shades that are damaged from my kids. I found this pattern at Drop-Dead Denim.
- Denim Coasters from the seam cords – I love coasters. Denim is so absorbent so it just makes sense. I found this idea at Northern Cheapskate.
- Denim Earrings from the belt loops – I found some cute earrings on Etsy made from denim. I am going to try to make something similar out of the belt loops.
- Scrap Rug from any leftover scraps that are too small for the poof stool. For this I will get a rug form and the scraps will be tied on and it will puff out the top.
I’m not sure when I will get this all done but some day down the road, I will put up another post with my finished results. I am pretty excited about all these projects. I know it may seem weird that I have such a connection to these jeans but just seeing them brings up so many memories.
Another project similar that I will post about step by step is a t-shirt quilt. I have quilted only two blankets ever for my husband’s cousin’s graduations. They were a lot of work but it was a labor of love and I enjoyed the excitement they expressed when I gave them to them. I don’t know if they still use them or not but I hope they know how much it meant to me to make them. My college t-shirts won’t mean anything to anyone else but me. I won’t wear the t-shirts anymore but I can’t just throw them out for them to be used as rags. They will be a beautiful quilt someday. The scraps from those shirts will also go into the scrap rug that my denim scraps will be added to.
Do you have those items that you just can’t part with? Maybe something passed down? Something that was given to you by someone special? Something that you have so many memories with? I would love to hear what that item is for you and what makes it so special.